Friday, October 9, 2015

Man Down: The Recovery

Should have shared this earlier, but I got some good news Wednesday afternoon.  I went and saw a local athletic trainer, highly recommended by one Ms. Diana Alt.  His name is Dennis Dolan, and among other things, he's actually an On Track coach that I've just never met.   Anyway, Diana told me to give him a shout, and he said come on by.  One of his offices is actually at a local (big) high school where he plys his trade.  I'll be candid, it was weird walking back into a high school after years away.  Some things never change...

He had me get up on a table, and proceeded to feel around on my calf, and was like *thumb press*  Here?  Then in another spot, *thumb press*  Here too?  Yep on both counts, he was right on where my issues where.  Next question, "nothing down here?" as he touched on everything from the base of the heel to the base of the calf.  Nope. 

Good news!

I sit up... ok, let me have it.

"Well, you don't have any achilles issues, which would be about 8 months of real recovery.  You've sheared some muscles in your calf." 

Now... the word sheared just.... it sounds bad.  But Dennis had me believe that I was going to be alright.  He gave me a lengthy breakdown in layman's terms of what was going on, and how to fix it.  Then he gave me some electrode therapy on the spot..... that was a first.  After that, he gave me a list of activities to do with no weight on my calf, and as soon as I was able, added calf raises with toes out, in, and straight to help rebuild the muscles.  Said if I did what he suggested, should be about 5 days, and I'd be good. 

Wait, 5 days.  Thats it?  Oh man, thats great news.  Monday will be day 5... and I'll be back in the box, regardless of how close I am.... I plan on taking it easy, but my calf already feels quite a bit better.  I've got  a noticeable limp, but it's getting better as well, need it to hurry up though, I'm ready to lift something heavy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment